Information technology has the power to transform how the world approaches environmental challenges. Cisco sees the Internet and networking technology at the heart of a global technological ecosystem where people and businesses can begin to work, live, play, and learn in new and more sustainable ways.
Connections Enabled By Network Technology
Cisco envisions the network as the basis to connect:
- Devices to measure, monitor and manage energy consumption
- People without the need for travel
- Ideas generated by people and organizations to help overcome social problems
- Information technology systems to conserve energy and natural resources through virtualization strategies
Under the direction set by the Cisco EcoBoard, our approach to environmental sustainability is to:
- Affect how we operate as a company
- Create efficiencies and innovations in our products
- Provide environmentally conscious solutions to our customers
- Collaborate with customers, industry groups, governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and employees to address global environmental issues
Cisco's Sustainable Operations
- Our Environment
Network technologies are central to our strategy for addressing the environmental impacts of our operations and our customers' operations.
- Minimizing Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Our low-carbon networking and communications solutions help users reduce environmental impacts and support the transition to a low-carbon economy.
- Reducing Waste
From product design, to packaging, to documentation, through end of life, Cisco looks at how to reduce waste. Cisco engineering, manufacturing, and supply-chain teams explore the problem and find solutions: new processes, new ways to use materials, and new designs.
- Value Chain
Learn about what we are doing to create products that are sourced, manufactured, and sold in an environmentally and socially responsible manner.
Innovating Toward a More Sustainable Future
- Smart+Connected Communities
See how Cisco is transforming physical communities to connected comunities to help achieve economic, social and environmental sutainability.
- Sustainable Cities: Connected Urban Development
Born from Cisco's commitment to the Clinton Global Initiative to help reduce carbon emissions, Connected Urban Development demonstrates how ICT can help reduce carbon emissions and improve efficiency of urban infrastructures.
- Planetary Skin
A Cisco and NASA collaboration to develop an online collaborative global monitoring platform, that will capture, collect, analyze and report data on environmental conditions around the world.